2009-06-16:Bremen:Live modular robots
- Title: "Live Modular Robots"
- Speakers: Juan González and Houxiang Zhang
- Duration: 25 minutes
- Place: Robotics Innovation Center. DFKI Bremen
- Date: Jun, 16th 2009
- More information: DFKI Bremen's talk archive
In this informal talk some of the modular robots we have developed in cooperation with the TAMS group from the University of Hamburg are shown and live demonstrations will be performed. Our research is focused on the locomotion capabilities of the 1D topology modular robots, like caterpillar, snakes and so on.
The control algorithms are bio-inspired. They are based on simplified Central Pattern Generators (CPGs) working as sinusoidal generators. For some values of generator parameters, the robots move using different locomotion gaits, such as rolling, side-winding, and rotating.
Another problem is the locomotion of the minimal configuration: finding those 1D topology modular robots with the minimum number of modules that are capable of moving in 1D and 2D. The two pitch-pitch and pitch-yaw-pitch minimal configuration will be discussed.
Finally, the new Cube-M modules will be presented, which will let us research on new topologies of modular robots.
|2009-06-16-Live_modular_robots.pdf||Presentation Slides in PDF|
|2009-06-16-bremen-live_modular_robots.odp|| Presentation slides for OpenOffice
|This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.5 Spain License.|
Some of the videos shown during the talk:
- Cube Revolutions Robot locomotion using sinusoidal oscillators
- Cube Revolution Robot: Caterpillar locomotion
- Cube Revolutions: Moving like a wheel
- Cube Revolutions: Testing the stability of the Linux Systems ;-)
- Hypercube Robot: Testing its locomotion capabilities
- Hypercube Robot: a funny test ;-)
- Minicube-I Robot: PP minimal configuration
- Minicube-II Robot: PYP minimal configuration
- Cube-M: 3-modules Caterpillar locomotion
- Cube-M: Testing in the Field
- Houxiang Zhang, Juan González-Gómez, Jianwei Zhang. "A New Application of Modular Robots on Analysis of Caterpillar-like Locomotion". Proceedings of the 2009 IEEE International Conference on Mechatronics, Malaga, Spain, 14-17 April. (PDF)
- Houxiang Zhang, S.Y. Chen, Juan Gonzalez-Gomez, Jianwei Zhang. "Embedded Intelligent Capability of a Modular Robotic System".Proceeding of IEEE Robio2008, Bangkok, Thailand, Dec. 2008. (PDF)
- Houxiang Zhang, Juan Gonzalez-Gomez, Zhizhu Xie, Sheng Cheng, Jianwei Zhang. Development of a Low-cost Flexible Modular Robot GZ-I. Proceeding of 2008 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronlics, pp. 223-228, Xi'an, China, 4 - 7 June. (PDF)
- Juan Gonzalez-Gomez. Modular robotics and locomotion: Application to limbless robots. Ph.D. Dissertation. Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. November-2008. (More information)
- J. Gonzalez-Gomez, Houxiang Zhang and Eduardo Boemo, Locomotion Principles of 1D Topology Pitch and Pitch-Yaw-Connecting Modular Robots. Chapter 24 of the Book: Bioinspiration and Robotics: Walking and Climbing Robots. pp.403-428. Published by Advanced Robotics Systems International and I-Tech Education and Publishing. Vienna, Austria. September 2007. (PDF) (More information)
- J. González-Gómez, I. González , FJ. Gómez-Arribas and E. Boemo,Evaluation of a locomotion algorithm for worm-like robots on FPGA-embedded processors. In Lecture Notes in computer Science, vol.3985, pp. 24-29. (PDF) (More information)
- J. Gonzalez-Gomez, Houxiang Zhang, Eduardo Boemo and Jianwei Zhang, Locomotion Capabilities of a Modular Robot with Eight Pitch-Yaw-Connecting Modules,Proc. of the 9th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots. Clawar06, pp. 150-157. Brussels, September 2006. (PDF) (More information)
- Gonzalez-Gomez, J. and Boemo, E. Motion of Minimal Configurations of a Modular Robot: Sinusoidal, Lateral Rolling and Lateral Shift, Proc. of the 8th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots. CLAWAR, pp. 667-674. London, September 2005. (PDF) (More information)
- Gonzalez-Gomez, J, Aguayo E. and Boemo E.,Locomotion of a Modular Worm-like Robot using a FPGA-based embedded MicroBlaze Soft-processor, Proc. of the 7th International Conference on Climbing and Walking Robots, CLAWAR 2004, pp. 869-878, CSIC, Madrid (spain). September, 2004. (PDF) (More information)
- Modular Robotics at TAMS groups
- Hypercube Robot
- MiniCube Robot (Minimal configurations)
- Cube Revolutions Robot
- We would like to thanks to Jose de Gea for his invitation to see all the research work that is being done at the Robotics Lab in Bremen. Thank you very much for sharing your time with us ;-)
- 16th/Jun/2009: This page is written